The boss of a tour company whose bus was involved in a dramatic crash in Tongariro National Park yesterday, injuring 15 British and American tourists, says nine have been discharged from hospital.
The injured tourists, four of whom were seriously hurt, were taken to four different North Island hospitals after their bus crashed down a 10-metre bank and into a stream at the intersection of State Highways 47 and 48.
The tourists, aged in their 60s, were travelling with Auckland-based tour company MoaTrek and were on their way to Napier when the crash occurred just after 8am.
The company's director, Miles Clark, this morning said staff were in Taupo and Whanganui, where most of the injured were being treated.
"Nine clients have been discharged so far but six others, including the bus driver, remain in hospital. MoaTrek will make arrangements for those discharged to travel back to Auckland.
"MoaTrek staff will remain on site in Whanganui and Rotorua to continue offering assistance to affected clients."
A Waikato Hospital spokeswoman said three bus passengers remained in the hospital, but all were stable in a ward.
Three tourists who were injured in the crash were also still being treated in Whanganui Hospital.
A Whanganui Hospital spokeswoman said on Monday that the three tourists were in a stable condition.
Lakes District Health Board spokeswoman said two women in their 60s were in a stable condition in Rotorua Hospital.
Those at Taupo Hospital had been discharged.
Clark said he had spent time with the injured in Taupo yesterday, and would do the same today in Rotorua.
"I and the rest of the MoaTrek team will continue today to provide assistance first hand in terms of recovery and support including accommodation and transport."