Anna Leask is senior police reporter for the New Zealand Herald.

Corrections withdraw applications for extra monitoring of notorious sex offender Stewart Murray

Stewart Murray Wilson.
Stewart Murray Wilson.

Serial sex offender Stewart Murray will not be subject to intensive or extended monitoring, the Department of Corrections has confirmed.

The monitoring put in place for the high profile offender when he was released on parole remains - however Corrections have withdrawn court applications to add to that and intensify the supervision he is under.

Wilson drugged, assaulted and raped over a 23-year period before he was caught, convicted and sentenced to 21 years in prison.

He was paroled to a two-bedroom house, which had been moved onto the Wanganui Prison grounds for the purpose in 2012, after serving 18 years.

His sentence was due to end in December last year.

READ MORE:
Meet the woman who got him
Stewart Murray Wilson jailed for parole breach

Stewart Murray Wilson house. stock Tuesday, June 23, 2015 Wanganui Chronicle photograph by Bevan Conley.
Stewart Murray Wilson house. stock Tuesday, June 23, 2015 Wanganui Chronicle photograph by Bevan Conley.

Corrections had applied for an Extended Supervision Order (ESO) with an Intensive Monitoring (IM) condition for Wilson, known for many years as the Beast of Blenheim.

The applications were due to be heard in court next week.

However Corrections confirmed tonight it had withdrawn both applications.

That did not mean Wilson would go unmonitored though.

"Mr Wilson is currently subject to an ESO, which commenced in March 2016, and Corrections considers his current ESO conditions are suitable to successfully manage the risk that he presents," a Corrections spokesperson told the Herald.

When Corrections made the latest application, legislation allowing an Intensive Monitoring condition to be applied for was still in the early stages of being implemented.

Since the application was filed in February 2016, Corrections has had the opportunity to continue to closely monitor Wilson's behaviour and risk under his current ESO conditions.

"An intensive monitoring condition can be imposed only once on an offender for up to a 12 month period," said the spokesperson.

"Given Mr Wilson's current level of compliance and associated management oversight, it is not considered necessary to apply for such a condition at this time, but the option of applying for intensive monitoring in the future remains open."

Wilson's current conditions include living at an approved residence, being subject to electronic monitoring, not leaving his residence without supervision by contracted staff, taking part in a reintegration programme, and not leaving Whanganui without the permission of his probation officer.

Wilson was sentenced in 1996 for sex and violence offences against women and girls, as well as charges of stupefying and bestiality.

- NZ Herald

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter

SIGN UP NOW

© Copyright 2017, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production apcf04 at 24 May 2017 15:38:18 Processing Time: 845ms