• GNS Science has revised the magnitude of the large earthquake that struck at 12:02am on Monday from a 7.5 to a 7.8, Acting Civil Defence Minister Gerry Brownlee says.

• Police are not requiring people travelling around the Seddon area to produce photo identification. The Marlborough District Council originally said patrols would be checking people's I.D to avoid repair crews any extra disruption. But the Privacy Commissioner John Edwards has spoken to the police and now says that's not the case.

• More than 400 people have so far been evacuated from Kaikoura by air and water.
150 people left on the HMNZS Canterbury this morning. NH90 helicopters have taken another 60 people out so far today. The Defence Force is hoping it can get everyone who wants to leave out by the end of the day.

As the defence force rallies to help thousands stricken by the quake it may be up to a year before they can get back into their own Wellington headquarters.

• Most major highways have been reopened but State Highway One is down to one lane from Pukerua Bay to Plimmerton.

• Mercer St has been evacuated

• Pipitea St has been closed after debris started falling from a building.

• A section of downtown Wellington near the Beehive is cordoned off.

• Wellington continues to face fresh challenges with an office block threatening to topple on surrounding buildings.

We speak to Red Cross spokesman Gemma Snowdon about how we can help with the earth quake relief.

As the large operation to get those stranded out of the ruined South Island township steps up, Wellington faces fresh challenges from an office block threatening to topple on surrounding buildings.

A section of downtown Wellington near the Beehive is cordoned off as 61 Molesworth St teeters precariously after suffering major structural damage in Monday's 7.5 quake.

Wellington Emergency Controller Simon Fleisher told Newstalk ZB there's no telling at this stage how long the area going to be out of bounds.

Advertisement

He said it would be inspected again today to see how the building could be repaired or whether it should be demolished.

And Pipitea St, central Wellington, is now closed between Moturoa and Murphy streets after debris started falling from a building.

Meanwhile, after a day of torrential rain, many commuters heading into the central business district are now struggling to fit onto slashed train services.

The worst affected is the southern Kapiti Line where flooding and slips are across the track.

Most major highways have been reopened but State Highway One is down to one lane from Pukerua Bay to Plimmerton.

This morning Civil Defence Emergency Management director Sarah Stuart-Black said a national relief effort was continuing to support people affected by the Kaikoura quake.

"A local state of emergency was declared in Canterbury yesterday afternoon. We are providing the Canterbury Civil Defence and Emergency Management group with support and assistance, to respond to community needs, get essential supplies to people who need them most and to ensure that visitors impacted by the earthquakes are safe and being cared for," she said.

New Zealand Defence Force evacuated about 200 people yesterday and helicopter evacuations were expected to resume evacuating people this morning. Inward flights are bringing in supplies.

HMNZS Wellington surveyed the harbour at Kaikoura this morning to find a suitable area for the HMNZS Canterbury to begin evacuating people. HMNZS Te Kaha and USS Sampson are also en-route to provide support.

About 50 per cent of Kaikoura has access to the town's water supply, which should be restored to 75 per cent by mid-morning. Door-to-door welfare checks were continuing in both Marlborough, Hurunui and Kaikoura.

For yesterday's Live Blog click here.