Fire breaks out at Wellington McDonald's

Photo / File
Photo / File

A fire broke out in McDonald's in Wellington's Manners Street this morning.

Fire crews were alerted to a vat fire in the restaurant just after 7am.

On arrival, they also discovered smoke coming from the roof area, and have since discovered the fire spread to a chimney flue.

The incident forced the closure of Manners Street, a central bus route through the city centre.

Fire crews were kept busy dealing with two additional blazes in Wellington this morning.

The first broke out around 4.45am when a person fell asleep while cooking in a house in Jackson Street, Petone.

A fire spokesperson said the man woke up to find the kitchen stove ablaze and was taken to hospital as a precaution for smoke inhalation.

Another blaze, around 8.30am, was a small fire in the roof of a house in Tawa.

Initially one person was thought to be missing, but they have since been located and are not injured.

- NZ Herald

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter


© Copyright 2016, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production apcf03 at 22 Oct 2016 17:58:07 Processing Time: 209ms