Car hits power pole sparking house fire in Turangi

Two fire crews were called to the scene. Photo / File
Two fire crews were called to the scene. Photo / File

A car has hit a power pole, sparking a house fire in Turangi.

The car was travelling on Hirangi Rd about midday when it hit the pole, bringing lines down, a Northern Fire Service spokesman said.

Sparks from the pole caused an electrical fire in the roof of the adjacent property.

Two crews went to the scene and were still working to put the fire out as of 1pm.

The spokesman had received no reports of injuries.

There was a risk two further power poles could come down because of the weight of the downed lines on those poles.

A St John spokeswoman said they didn't have any record of the incident.

A police spokeswoman said they were assisting the Fire Service with a cordon at the scene.

A spokeswoman for The Lines Company said it had 1200 customers without power in the Turangi area, as a result of the incident. It is expected to take up to eight hours to re-establish.

She said technicians were at the scene and more were on their way.

The power pole the car crashed into was badly damaged and would need to be replaced.

- NZ Herald

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter

SIGN UP NOW

© Copyright 2016, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production apcf03 at 10 Dec 2016 00:39:39 Processing Time: 352ms