More heavy rain is expected over the North Island tonight, after a day of wild weather across the country.
MetService's severe weather warnings are no longer in force but a weather watch remains in place as a front moves across the North Island tonight.
"A trough is expected to cross the North Island overnight and early Sunday morning, with another burst of heavy rain and north-to-northwest gales," the forecaster said.
The weather brought down a large slip across State Highway 1 at Pukerua Bay, north of Wellington, earlier today.
Police said the road has since reopened.
An area of nearby Johnsonville Shopping Centre was also flooded this morning.Firefighters were called to a house near Taupo after a large macrocarpa tree crashed through the roof.
A tree also fell down on State Highway 30 at Awakeri, south of Whakatane, about 9am.
The Fire Service was called to Cooper's Beach in the Far North after two houses were flooded. A property in Auckland's Freeman's Bay had its basement flooded in the downpour.
The Southern Fire Service had about six call-outs related to street and house flooding in Timaru, plus one in Motueka.
Auckland's Central Fire Service had about six minor call-outs.
Police urged drivers to slow down and drive to the conditions after a head-on crash on the Kapiti Coast.
Yup. Buckets of rain in the Hutt Valley ... pic.twitter.com/wwMruRbxaX— Lainey (@nzgirlemd) May 27, 2016
At least two vehicles collided at Paekakariki after a vehicle crossed the centre line near the intersection of State Highway 1 and Beach Rd about 8.30am.
Police said surface flooding caused issues in the SH1 northbound lane near Churton Park and there has been a minor crash at Whitby.
There was also a report of a car which has spun out on SH2, 100m southbound from the Haywards Hill intersection.
MetService recorded lightning strikes in coastal areas and western parts of the North Island.
Rugby supporters at the Blues versus Crusaders match at Eden Park tonight had to deal with a blustery northwesterly and possible showers.
Heavy rain was expected in Waitomo, Taranaki, Horowhenua, the Kapiti Coast, northern Wellington, the Marlborough Sounds, northwest Nelson and Buller.
Motorists are also advised to drive carefully through the Manawatu Gorge after torrential rain caused two slips.
The westbound lane of State Highway 3 in the gorge is blocked in one area while contractors move the debris.
The slips are expected to be cleared in the next few hours.MetService meteorologist Stephen Glassey said a very intense rain band was moving across the country into Canterbury.
"Kerikeri had 33mm [between 4am and 7am]," he said. "That's a lot of rain in three hours.
"Strong winds are associated with the rain band. We recorded gusts of 140km/h in Kaeo in the Far North.
"Canterbury has also had heavy rain and there has been heavy snow in the high country, which is affecting alpine roads.
"The heavy snow in the Canterbury high country is forecast to be down to 600m today, and then ease later on.
"Sunday will be unsettled as well as a low moves to the east of the country. Showers will affect most places.
"A ridge of high pressure midweek will bring more settled weather over the country by the end of next week.
Main centres forecast
• Whangarei: Today: Rain, possible downpours, easing to showers this afternoon. Gale northwesterly. High 22C. Sunday: Few showers then rain. Northwesterlies. High 21C.
• Auckland: Today: Rain, possible downpours, easing to showers this afternoon. Gale northwesterly. High 21C. Sunday: Few showers then rain. Northwesterlies. High 19C.
• Tauranga: Today: Rain, possible downpours, easing to showers this afternoon. Strong northwesterly. High 20C. Sunday: Occasional rain. Northwesterlies. High 19C.
• Hamilton: Today: Rain, possible downpours, easing to showers this afternoon. Strong northwesterly. High 20C. Sunday: Periods of rain, some possibly heavy. Northwesterlies. High 18C.
• Wellington: Today: Rain, thundery downpours in the early morning. Showers in the afternoon. Strong northwesterly. High 17C. Sunday: Early rain then showers. High 15C.
• Christchurch: Today: Periods of rain, heavy at first. Easterly turns southwest. High 12C. Sunday: Increasing fine spells. Cold southwesterlies. High 12C.
• Dunedin: Today: Rain develops in the morning. Strong easterly tends southerly. High 10C. Sunday: Occasional showers. Cold southwesterlies. High 10C.