Teacher loses registration following assault conviction

The man's teaching registration was cancelled. Photo / iStock
The man's teaching registration was cancelled. Photo / iStock

A teacher who physically and sexually assaulted his former partner multiple times is no longer allowed to teach.

Thomas William Sciascia Scott was convicted on December 17, 2009 at Waipukurau District Court on charges of assault and breaching a protection order.

Scott's conviction for these offences led to a censure by the Teachers' Disciplinary Tribunal, however in May 2015 the Ministry of Justice told the Education Council he had been convicted of four further charges at Hamilton District Court.

He was convicted on May 20, 2015 of two charges of male assaults female, one of injuring with reckless disregard and one of indecent assault.

During one of the offences he scared his former partner, who he was in a relationship with for 10 years until they separated in 2004, so badly she asked if he intended to rape her.

They have two children together.

The offending, which the tribunal deemed "very serious indeed", occurred while Scott was a registered teacher.

The tribunal said in its November 2015 decision there was "simply no room in New Zealand schools for a teacher who has offended at this level".

As such, his teaching registration has been cancelled by the tribunal.

- NZ Herald

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter

SIGN UP NOW

© Copyright 2016, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production apcf04 at 11 Dec 2016 23:44:58 Processing Time: 644ms