Chemical plant ablaze in Mount Maunganui

By -
Add a comment
File photo / Thinkstock
File photo / Thinkstock

A Mount Maunganui chemical plant is on fire sending out plumes of potentially toxic smoke.

Police and firefighters were called to Lawter NZ about 5.40pm.

A police spokesperson said huge amounts of smoke were coming from the fire.

The plant had been evacuated and surrounding businesses were being evacuated due to fears the fumes could be toxic.

It appeared the smoke was being blown out to sea but police were telling people it was very toxic and they should avoid the area.

For more articles from this region, go to

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter


Have your say

1200 characters left

By and large our readers' comments are respectful and courteous. We're sure you'll fit in well.
View commenting guidelines.

© Copyright 2015, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production bpcf04 at 07 Oct 2015 14:21:54 Processing Time: 632ms