A house has been destroyed in a fire near Rotorua.
The house, on Maniatutu Rd near Okere Falls, caught fire in the early hours of Saturday morning but firefighters said it appeared no one was inside.
Rotorua Fire Service senior station officer Jim Prescott said a call was received from a member of the public just before 5am.
He said the house was fully alight by the time firefighters arrived. Once the fire was put out, only a chimney was left standing.
Fire crews were delayed getting to the fire as they had great difficulty getting their trucks down the driveway.
Mr Prescott reminded rural residents to ensure their driveways were clear of foliage to enable fire trucks and ambulances to get to them if needed.
"Rural people should also make sure there is adequate water for firefighters and they must make sure they have smoke detectors as they are the first source of notification for rural residents. Without neighbours around, they really need to be self-reliant."
It is not known if anyone lived at the house.
Mr Prescott said the cause of the fire was still to be determined.
Saturday's fire follows a suspicious blaze which badly damaged an empty house on Friday. The house on Bennetts Rd, Koutu, caught fire about 5.55pm. The house, which didn't have any power connected, was well alight when firefighters arrived.
For more articles from this region, go to Rotorua Daily Post