Man in court after Timaru abduction

By Rebecca Ryan of the Oamaru Mail

Police question motorists about an alleged abduction in Timaru.  Photo / 3 News
Police question motorists about an alleged abduction in Timaru. Photo / 3 News

A 26-year-old man has appeared in the Timaru District Court in connection with the suspected abduction of a 9-year-old boy last week.

Judge Joanna Maze granted interim name suppression and remanded the man in custody so a psychiatric report could be done to assess his fitness to stand trial.

The 26-year-old has been charged with intent to cause grievous bodily harm and wounding and will re-appear in the Timaru District Court on December 5.

Mid-South Canterbury police Area Commander Dave Gaskin said police executed a search warrant last night after receiving a "collection of evidence" from members of the public.

"A lot of little bits of the jigsaw came together," he said.

"Information came from a range of members of the public who had seen a vehicle in a number of places and had seen the young boy as he left school."

The Oceanview Heights School pupil was found in a distressed condition with visible injuries near Holme Station Bridge in Timaru about 4pm on November 15. He was taken to Timaru Public Hospital.

Mr Gaskin said the boy was recovering well and was expected to be released today.

He gave "a little bit of information, but nothing specific" to police.

"He was pretty good - he's a nine-year-old boy," he said.

He said an arrest was just the start of the investigation, but could not say whether further charges would be laid or whether the 9-year-old boy entered the vehicle willingly or not.

However, he said police did not believe the attack was random.

- APNZ

© Copyright 2014, APN New Zealand Limited

Assembled by: (static) on red akl_a1 at 23 Aug 2014 17:52:30 Processing Time: 624ms