Police called out after parties get out of control

File photo / NZ Herald
File photo / NZ Herald

More than 30 youths brawled in a Kapiti street outside a party that was widely publicised on Facebook, in what was the ugliest of three out-of-control parties in the area over the weekend.

The unruly incidents come after Kapiti police and local councillors vowed to take action against drunkenness and crime following the violent deaths of two young men in the Kapiti Lights area in the last two months.

In the first incident, a large number of police were called to shut down a party in Raumati South about 10.15pm on Friday.

Senior Sergeant Alasdair Macmillan said the party had been gate-crashed by a group of youths aged 16 to 20.

"A large number of police staff arrived and managed to close the party down with the help of the occupants and no arrests were made.''

The following night, police were called to a street brawl between up to 30 youths which broke out on Wairere Grove about 11.45pm.

Mr Macmillan said it appeared the party had been widely publicised on Facebook.

"An unidentified person threw a bottle, which narrowly missed a police officer but hit a patrol vehicle, causing minor damage.''

Three men, two aged 18 and one aged 19, were arrested for disorderly behaviour likely to cause violence.

The 19-year-old was also charged with possession of an offensive weapon after police found he had a small knife when they arrested him.

About 45 minutes later, police were called to an Otaihanga address after reports of fighting.

The officers found a number of drunken youths, some as young as 14, who were returned home to their parents.

Mr Macmillan said he was disappointed by actions of some of the youths at the unruly parties.

"After the recent incidents in Kapiti, we are disappointed with what has occurred over the weekend,'' he said.

"We will continue to take a zero tolerance approach to alcohol and violence on the coast. We remain committed to reducing the harm caused by alcohol, especially to young people.''

The weekend brawls come two weeks after 20-year-old Sean Strongman-Lintern was stabbed to death after a fight outside the Kapiti Lights Complex.

Tristim Lee Eastham, 24, a labourer from Porirua, is due to reappear in Porirua District Court tomorrow charged with his murder.

Mr Strongman-Lintern's death was five weeks after 17-year-old Izak Millanta died near the same complex.

A 25-year-old local man, whose name is suppressed, will appear Porirua District Court on Friday facing charges in relation to his death.

© Copyright 2014, APN New Zealand Limited

Assembled by: (static) on red akl_a1 at 29 Jul 2014 08:47:26 Processing Time: 247ms