A West Coast man had his stomach pumped in hospital after swallowing a bag of methamphetamine when police swooped on his house in a drugs bust on Wednesday.
"When we came through the door a man in the house said 'oh, f***' and then swallowed a bag of P that was sitting on the table," said Detective Sergeant Jackie Adams of Greymouth CIB.
Mr Adams believed the bag contained more than 2g of P with a street value of $2000.
When he saw the man had gulped down the bag, Mr Adams said he rushed him into his car and to the accident and emergency department at Grey Base Hospital.
"At the hospital he was dosed with charcoal and he spent the night in intensive care."
Mr Adams said the man did a "runner" the next day but "we obviously know who he is and will be catching up with him very soon".
Swallowing the drugs was a "very silly" thing to do, Mr Adams said.
"Had the bag broken open and the contents entered his stomach, it is very likely that he would have died."