Over the next few days the Herald will be running a series of articles on child abuse and highlighting charities working to end it. See the bottom of this page for today's charity.
A month ago, two central North Island schoolboys were frequently being physically abused by their father.
Between their beatings they watched in fear as their mother was also beaten black and blue.
It was a way of life for the family - until one of Jigsaw's community-based organisations stepped in.
Now the boys are safe and getting help to ensure they don't repeat the cycle when they get older.
"They are healthy, they are in school. They are safe and doing well," said Jigsaw's chief executive of strategic operations, Liz Kinley.
Jigsaw is an umbrella group to 31 community-based organisations around the country which work in the field of child abuse prevention and child protection.
At a national level, Jigsaw gives support and assistance to the community organisations.
It also raises money to pay for training, mentoring, consultancy and plays a big role in advocacy and input into policy development.
At a grassroots level, the organisations provide a variety of services, all related to preventing child abuse or helping the victims of it.
Some of the groups, like the one that helped the central North Island boys, work with others in the community to ensure children are removed from dangerous situations while others help in the aftermath.
Some take children on picnics or special outings - something they would otherwise never get the chance to experience.
Ms Kinley said money raised by Herald readers would be passed directly to the community-based organisations so it could go straight to children in need.
* Parent & Family Counselling, Whangarei
* Pa O Te Ora Charitable Trust, Hikurangi
* Te Korowai Aroha o Ngati Whatua, Wellsford
* Te Whare Ruruhau o Meri, Auckland
* Parent Trust Auckland
* Preventing Violence in the Home, Auckland
* CAPS Hauraki, Thames
* Ngaruawahia Tu Tangata Charitable Trust
* Institute of Child Protection Studies (CPS), Hamilton
* Mana Social Services Trust, Rotorua
* Parentline Hawke's Bay Inc, Hastings
* Te Manawa Services, Feilding
* Taupo Therapy Centre
* CHB Support & Counselling Services, Waipukurau
* Tu Tama Wahine o Taranaki, New Plymouth
* Family Support Services, Whanganui
* Parentline Manawatu, Palmerston North
* Manawatu Rape and Sexual Abuse Collective, Palmerston North
* Dannevirke Family Services
* Parent Help Wellington
* Catholic Social Services, Wellington
* Family Help Trust, Christchurch
* Te Puna Oranga Inc, Christchurch
* Stopping Violence Services, Christchurch
* Family Start Buller-Grey, Westport
* Homebuilders West Coast Trust, Westport
* Family Focus Greymouth
* Rata Te Awhina Trust, Hokitika
* Wakatipu Abuse Intervention Network
* Awarua Social and Health Services, Invercargill
* Brainwave Trust, National
HOW TO GIVE TO JIGSAW
Donations for Jigsaw can be made into the bank account 03-0458-0179372-001 (Westpac) or in a cheque made out to "Jigsaw Family Services Inc" and posted to PO Box 7285 Wellington South.
For more information visit Jigsaw's website at www.jigsaw.org.nz