The judge who earlier this week banned news websites from naming two men accused of murder while allowing coverage by newspapers, radio and TV, says he would welcome a debate on the issue.
Judge David Harvey today further remanded the two men - aged 22 and 23 - in custody until September 5.
He told Manukau District Court he had received no submissions from the media opposing the suppression order he made on Monday.
In response to a question from media present in court today about whether the current suppression order would remain in place, Judge Harvey said: "That is really up to you. I've invited argument on this point."
He said media organisations had been invited to make submissions last Wednesday. "I welcome that discussion."
He added: "I can proceed without hearing from the media and that would be totally unfair."
APN - owners of nzherald.co.nz - and other media organisations continue to consider taking legal action over the decision.
The two men are charged with murdering 14-year-old John Hapeta, threatening to kill, assault with intent to rob and using a pistol to commit a crime.
A 15-year-old, who cannot be named by any media because of his age, has also appeared in the Manukau Youth Court charged alongside the two men with using a pistol to commit a crime and assaulting John with intent to rob him.