Adele might be best known for her voice but in the world of beauty it's her cat-eye liner that gets the standing ovation. Sleek, timeless, definitely diva-ish, those sweeping black lines have become as synonymous with the songstress as her once-in-a-generation voice.
And yet, no matter how much you might wish it wasn't so, if your eyes are round rather than elongated you have about as much chance of emulating the look as you do of winning 15 Grammys. If the liner has to start half way or less across your eye (usually recommended for round eyes), it's not a proper cat's eye - it's a half-arsed one.
But for those blessed with oval eyes who like their makeup graphic, here are a few simple tips.
• If you are having trouble getting an even line with liquid liner, start with black pencil underneath. The wax it contains helps stop the brush from wobbling.
• It may sound elementary but let the liner dry properly. After applying, close your eyes and wait 30 seconds before reopening. And then add mascara.
• Waterproof liquid liner lasts much longer.
• To make those elongated eyes look wider, make the liner just a hint thicker in the centre of your lash line.
• To get the angle right, apply a tiny dot of liner where you want the flick to end. Then it's just a case of joining the dots.
Liners to love
1: Eye of Horus Liquid Define ($39):
Opaque, smooth and pigment-rich, this dries quickly and lasts well.
2: Smashbox Limitless Liquid Liner Pen ($42): A precision tip releases a controlled steam of even colour that dries to a semi-matte finish.
3: Benefit's They're Real Push-Up Gel Liner ($44): Wind it up to get more product on to the tip, and glide it across the base of your lashes.
Read the label: Sea buckthorn
Often planted to stabilise embankments, the tenacious sea buckthorn plant contains AHA-like ingredients (predominantly vitamin C) which help smooth the skin and make it more resilient. It's also considered valuable when it comes to healing and repair, hence its use in many anti-ageing skincare products. But sea buckthorn's efficacy doesn't stop with the skin - it's often used in shampoos and conditioners where it combats dryness and improves scalp health.
FIND IT IN: Sea buckthorn plays a big role in many Dr. Hauschka products. Extracts can also be found in makeup with skincare benefits, including Clarins eyeshadows.
Celeb beauty tips
Jaquie Brown, writer/performer
The truth of my life is that I spend most of my income on skincare. Lotions and serums on a shelf make me euphoric, it's like being in a sweet shop for grown-ups.
Right now I'm using Lytera Skin Brightening Complex from SkinMedica, Peptide-Rich Defense Moisturiser SPF50 from Cosmedix and Youth EssentiA Eye Gel from Environ. I use products with high vitamin A to encourage my skin to make new collagen. I'm a maniac for sunscreen and when I can I have an Omnilux light treatment.