Pastry chef Yuli Priyono made this with some beautiful Balinese fruit that you will be lucky to find in New Zealand.
Use paw paw, ripe mangoes, pineapples and banana to replicate this recipe. Pandan leaves are available in New Zealand, but only in Asian supermarkets. They infuse the coconut milk with a vanilla-like flavour. Substitute a vanilla pod if you cannot find pandan leaves.
• 300g coconut milk
• 100g caster sugar
• 2 pandan leaves or a vanilla pod
• 1 cup water
• 25g palm sugar
• 4 cups tropical fruit, cubed
1. Warm the coconut milk and ½ a cup water with the caster sugar, along with the pandan leaves or vanilla pod. Infuse for 15 minutes.
2. Strain out the leaves and cool and chill until very cold.
3. In a small pot, heat ½ cup water with the palm sugar. Boil until it forms a caramel syrup. Cool.
4. Arrange the cubed fruits in serving glasses. Pour over the coconut milk and drizzle over the palm sugar syrup.