• 6 mandarins, 3 peeled, 3 with the skin on
• 175g butter
• 175g white sugar
• 3 eggs
• 175g plain flour
• 1 tsp baking powder
• ½ cup icing sugar
• hot water
1. Preheat the oven to 175C. Grease and line the base of a 23cm cake tin.
2. Roughly chop the mandarins and place in a food processor. Blitz until you have a pulp; set aside 2 tablespoons for the icing.
3. Beat the butter and sugar until pale. Add the eggs one at a time, then stir in the flour, baking powder and mandarin pulp.
4. Pour into the tin and smooth the top. Bake for 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the cake comes out clean. Cool and remove from the tin.
5. To make the icing, mix the icing sugar with the reserved mandarin pulp and enough hot water to create a runny consistency.
6. Place the cake on a serving plate and drizzle with the icing.