You can make this soup with fish or prawns or as a vegetarian option by substituting the chicken stock with fish or vegetable stock. A few softened rice noodles will extend this dish.
• 4-6 cups chicken stock
• 1 stalk lemongrass , minced
• 3 cloves garlic, minced
• 3 kaffir lime leaves
• 2 red chillies, finely sliced, or substitute with ½ to ¾ tsp dried crushed chilli
• A generous handful of fresh button mushrooms, sliced thinly
• 2 chicken breasts , sliced into thin strips
• ½ can of coconut milk
• 1 Tbsp freshly-squeezed lime juice
• 3 Tbsp fish sauce
• 1/3 cup fresh coriander, roughly chopped
You could also add other strips of vegetables such as broccoli, carrot, spring onion, snow peas and beans.
1. Pour stock into a deep cooking pot and bring to a boil.
2. Add the lemongrass and boil for 1-2 minutes.
3. Add garlic, chilli, lime leaves, and mushrooms. Reduce heat to medium and simmer 1-2 minutes.
4. Add the chicken strips and simmer until cooked.
5. Reduce heat to medium-low and add the coconut milk plus fish sauce and lime juice.
6. Test the soup for salt and spice, adding more fish sauce instead of salt.
Garnish with the fresh coriander.