• Softened butter to grease an oven tray
• ¼ cup water
• 1 cup white sugar
• ½ cup light corn syrup - see tip
• 1½ cups raw peanuts
• ½ cup pecan nuts
• ½ tsp salt
• 2 Tbs butter
• 1 tsp baking soda
1. Grease the oven tray.
2. In a heavy saucepan over a medium heat, put in the water, sugar and corn syrup. Stir until the sugar has dissolved, then stir in the peanuts, pecans and salt.
3. Either set a candy thermometer and stir the mixture frequently until the temperature reaches 150°C or until a small amount dropped into cold water becomes hard and brittle threads.
4. Remove from the heat and quickly stir in the butter and baking soda.
5. Pour on to the oven tray and leave until cold. Break into pieces.