Makes approximately 3 cups
3 cups frozen raspberries
2 cups sugar
1/2 tsp tartaric acid
2 cups plain flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
2 Tbs caster sugar
50g butter, melted
1 1/2 cups milk to mix
Blackberries to serve
Ricotta to serve
1. To make the jam: put the berries into a saucepan and bring to a boil then add the sugar.
2. Stir until the sugar has dissolved then add the tartaric acid and boil rapidly for 4 minutes.
3. Pour into warm, sterilised jars.
4. To make the waffles: sift the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt into a large bowl.
5. Whisk the sugar and eggs together then whisk in the melted butter. Add to the dry ingredients, with enough milk to make a smooth batter. Let rest for at least 10 minutes while heating the waffle iron.
6. Preheat oven to 100C. Follow the manufacturer's instructions on the waffle iron. Ladle in some batter, then close and cook until golden brown. Remove the waffles and keep warm in the oven while continuing with the mixture.
7. Serve the warm waffles with jam, blackberries, a dollop of ricotta and a drizzle of maple syrup. Dust with icing sugar.By Amanda Laird Email Amanda