League: Eels win keeps Warriors in eight

The Warriors are clinging on to the top eight after the conclusion of round 23 in the National Rugby League (NRL).

Following Parramatta's thumping 40-12 win over Wests Tigers, the Warriors are in eighth place with 26 points.

The Storm leads the competition with 34, two ahead of Manly and Cronulla. The Roosters are fourth with 30 points with the Broncos a further three back in fifth place.

The Raiders and Dragons match the Warriors but are ahead of them due to a superior points differential.

Of the other teams vying for the top eight, the Knights, Tigers, Eels and Titans all have 24 points with two rounds remaining.

Parramatta took advantage of a horrendous case of the dropsies for the Tigers at Parramatta Stadium last night who did their own playoff chances little good, the Eels joining them on 24 competition points courtesy of their eighth straight win over their local rivals.

Both clubs need at least two more wins from their last three matches to secure a top eight berth, but there were signs the Eels had rediscovered some of their swagger as they ran in seven tries to two to give their deplorable for and against a boost.

There was a nasty sting in the tail of the win with Feleti Mateo limping from the field two minutes from time, Eels officials hopeful their star backrower had suffered nothing more than a cork.

It didn't take long for the Tigers to invite the home side into the contest with Beau Ryan coughing the ball up after just four minutes to give the Eels an early sniff.

Taulima Tautai took advantage to cross for his first of the night, the dose repeated when Mateo sent Fuifui Moimoi over for his first of the season after a Chris Lawrence knock on.

The Tigers were losing the plot - three straight penalties leading to a simple Krisnan Inu penalty goal before a spilled Brett Finch bomb fortuitously landed in the arms of Nathan Hindmarsh who put the Eels up by three converted tries.

When Tautai bagged his double there looked no coming back for the Tigers, but a piece of luck - when another Finch bomb was carried backwards by the wind - and some Benji Marshall speed closed the gap to 16 at break.

It was back to ten when a clever Robbie Farah kick close to the Eels line found Chris Heighington, but the Tigers again capitulated with Taniela Tuiaki taking his turn in line to drop the ball cold.

Jarryd Hayne bounced off four defenders to again make sure the Tigers paid for their mistake, that try opening the floodgates with Mateo miraculously held a Matt Keating pass to score under the posts before Hayne completed his double five minutes from time.

Tigers prop Bryce Gibbs was also placed on report after collected Inu with a forearm late in the contest.

- Newstalk ZB, AAP

- Newstalk ZB

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter


© Copyright 2016, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production bpcf04 at 04 Dec 2016 21:51:49 Processing Time: 1514ms