Man charged with attack on baby

File photo / NZ Herald
File photo / NZ Herald

A 20-year-old Waipukurau man has been arrested in connection with an alleged serious assault on a 5-week-old baby.

The boy was admitted to Hawke's Bay Hospital on 1 November, but was transferred the same day to Starship Hospital in Auckland.

Detective Senior Sergeant David Greig said the boy suffered a serious head injury and other multiple injuries including fractures.

An investigation had been done, including a forensic scene examination, of the house where the boy had been living.

The man was arrested today and appeared in Hastings District Court this afternoon charged with wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm and neglect of the infant.

He was remanded on bail to appear again in the Waipukurau District Court on April 14.

Mr Greig described the baby's injuries as being amongst the most serious his team had investigated.

"An arrest is very pleasing given the tragic circumstances of the case," he said.

"Investigations of this nature are always extremely challenging for police and our partner agencies such as Child Youth and Family. However the public can be reassured that in such circumstances we will do our utmost to ensure that there is accountability and protection for our most vulnerable members of society."

The baby has been in the care of Child Youth and Family since his discharge from hospital in mid-December and is receiving ongoing medical treatment for his injuries.

© Copyright 2014, APN New Zealand Limited

Assembled by: (static) on red akl_a3 at 30 Aug 2014 16:59:54 Processing Time: 1611ms