Cow breaks man's leg

By Christine McKay, Sam Hurley

Add a comment
A cow attacked a 23-year-old man breaking his femur. Photo/Thinkstock
A cow attacked a 23-year-old man breaking his femur. Photo/Thinkstock

A Norsewood man broke the largest bone in his body after he was "attacked" by a "disgruntled cow" yesterday morning.

Palmerston North Rescue Helicopter base manager Chris Moody said his crew had a busy day in southern Hawke's Bay after responding to the farm accident.

"A 23-year-old man was herding some cows before it appears one turned and knocked him off his motor bike, breaking his femur."

He said the Norsewood volunteer fire brigade helped clear out a landing zone on the farm about 1km north of the rural town on SH2.

"He was in a stable condition ... the femur is the biggest bone in your body and there is the risk of future arterial damage, so it was quite a serious job."

Norsewood Chief Fire Officer Terrance Ahern said the 23-year-old was bringing cattle into the cow shed at about 6.30am when the herd forced him into a fence and off the two-wheeled bike, causing his leg injury and lacerations to his body.

"Ambulance staff were already there when we arrived, and he was conscious and breathing," he said.

He said the man is a Norsewood resident and works on the 600-cow dairy farm.

Meanwhile, in southern Hawke's Bay, a critically ill Hastings man is alive thanks to the "fantastic" work of Dannevirke St John ambulance staff.

Emergency services were called to the Dannevirke and Districts A&P Showgrounds at 10.25 yesterday morning, after a 65-year-old had a heart attack at the wheel of his car while driving into the grounds for the annual Wheels with Attitude event.

Constable Paul Randall of Dannevirke Police said the paramedics on hand saved the man's life.

"They brought him back after he suffered a serious heart attack at the wheel of his car," he said.

Witnesses told Dannevirke News it appeared the man had his heart attack as he drove past the newly opened Homes Industries Hall at the complex. His car continued across into the fairgrounds before coming to a stop next to a Mahon's truck.

Members of the Dannevirke Volunteer Fire Brigade set up a landing pad for the Palmerston North Rescue Helicopter in the centre of the fairground, but the chopper crew left without their patient.

"The man wasn't considered well enough to fly to hospital. He was very touch and go," Constable Randall said.

"Paramedics can do a lot more in the back of an ambulance than can be done in a helicopter and the work by our ambos was amazing in bringing the man back after his heart attack."

St John Tararua district manager Greg Cottrell said the 65-year-old was taken to Palmerston North Hospital in a critical condition.

"We had a crew at the A&P showgrounds for the event and we also had a road crew nearby that was also able to quickly respond.

"They were able to get his heartbeat back. A couple of bystanders had started performing CPR on the man immediately. He was transported by road with the St John intensive care advanced paramedic who had flown in with the helicopter.

"The first crew, both crews, did a fantastic job and literally saved his life."

Last night both the 65-year-old and 23-year-old men were recovering in Palmerston North Hospital.

- Hawkes Bay Today

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter


Have your say

1200 characters left

By and large our readers' comments are respectful and courteous. We're sure you'll fit in well.
View commenting guidelines.

© Copyright 2017, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production apcf05 at 27 May 2017 04:17:39 Processing Time: 724ms