Display of safety and fireworks

By Anna Ferrick

Add a comment
A crowd of about 4000 turned out for the fireworks display at the Meanee Speedway. Photo / Paul Taylor
A crowd of about 4000 turned out for the fireworks display at the Meanee Speedway. Photo / Paul Taylor

Thousands of people turned out to firework displays across the region at the weekend but firework-related callouts to the emergency services were kept to a minimum.

The Fire Service responded to four firework-related callouts on Saturday night, including a letter box set on fire in Napier.

Hawke's Bay fire area commander Chris Nichol said the four callouts were spread across the lower North Island.

"Pretty insignificant really," he said yesterday.

Mr Nichol said "anecdotally" he thought the number of callouts would have been lower than last year and that it indicated behaviour surrounding firework safety was pretty good.

Police working yesterday said there were no major incidents that had been passed on from the night before.

A 4000-strong crowd turned out to the Meanee Speedway fireworks display on Saturday night which lasted seven minutes.

Promotor Brian Strong said the display had gone "extremely well" and after 40 years of fireworks at the speedway he said the response was still excellent.

"The fireworks attract a lot more people to the speedway, the display has gone from strength to strength in the past few years."

A display was also put on at Havelock North Primary School on Saturday night.

Taradale Primary School had also planned a fireworks display for Friday night but it was cancelled due to weather.

- HAWKES BAY TODAY

Have your say

We aim to have healthy debate. But we won't publish comments that abuse others. View commenting guidelines.

1200 characters left

© Copyright 2014, APN New Zealand Limited

Assembled by: (static) on red akl_a2 at 24 Jul 2014 00:07:35 Processing Time: 817ms