One of New Zealand's most high profile criminals may be recalled to prison just months after being released on parole.
Dean Wickliffe, 68, one the country's longest-serving inmates, has spent more than half his life behind bars.
He is serving a life sentence for the manslaughter of Wellington jeweller Paul Miet during an armed robbery, a sentence originally imposed in 1972.
Wickliffe has been released and recalled to prison five times between 1987 and 2011.
He was most recently granted parole at a hearing on May 17 and released soon after.
At that hearing Wickliffe told the Parole Board that he wanted it to be his final time before them.
The Herald has learned that Wickliffe will appear before the District Court later this week on a driving charge.
It is understood that Wickliffe is also alleged to have breached at least one of the special conditions imposed on him by the Parole Board when he was released.
Police refused to comment on the matter.
A Department of Corrections spokeswoman confirmed action had been taken in relation to Wickliffe.
"We can confirm that we made an application to the New Zealand Parole Board to have this person recalled to prison," she said.
"The Parole Board has not granted an interim recall.
"The Parole Board will set a hearing date in due course."
A date is yet to be set for that hearing.
Wickliffe was subject to a number of special parole conditions that were to stay in place for the first five years after his release.
The conditions included not possessing or consuming, illicit drugs or psychoactive substances.
The board also warned Wickliffe that he would have to submit to drug and alcohol testing if Corrections or police required it.
And he was ordered to "if directed" to attend a hearing in November 2017 to allow the Parole Board to monitor his compliance with his release conditions.
In May 2011 Wickliffe was released on parole but was recalled within months after he was charged with and later convicted of manufacturing P and possessing the drug for supply, after an armed police raid at his Maketu property.
In 2016 he was denied an early release as the Parole Board felt he posed an undue risk to the community.
However in May the board were satisfied Wickliffe was at a low risk of reoffending.