The New Zealand Telecommunications industry is blacklisting all Samsung Galaxy Note 7 mobile phones from November 18.
This will mean any Samsung Note 7s currently in use will no longer work on any mobile network.
New Zealand Telecommunications Forum chief executive Geoff Thorn said this safety measure would assist the global recall process.
"Numerous attempts by all providers have been made to contact owners and ask them to bring the phones in for replacement or refund, this action should further aid the return of the remaining handsets," he said.
Earlier this year Samsung issued a global recall on all Samsung Note 7 devices.
"Anyone who is still in possession of a Samsung Note 7, please return it to your service provider as soon as possible," Thorn said.
Last month Air New Zealand put a total ban on Samsung Galaxy Note 7 devices from its aircraft, after reports the devices were catching fire and, in some cases, exploding. Jetstar and Qantas later followed suit.
The ban followed the directive of the Federal Aviation Authority (FAA) and the United States Department of Transportation (DOT).
Samsung has since suspended production of its Galaxy Note 7 mobile phones.