Whanganui Chronicle
  • Whanganui Chronicle home
  • Latest news
  • Sport
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Lifestyle
  • Property
  • Death notices
  • Classifieds

Subscriptions

  • Herald Premium
  • Viva Premium
  • The Listener
  • BusinessDesk

Sections

  • Latest news
  • On The Up
  • Sport
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Lifestyle
  • Property
    • All Property
    • Residential property listings
  • Rural
    • All Rural
    • Dairy farming
    • Sheep & beef farming
    • Horticulture
    • Animal health
    • Rural business
    • Rural life
    • Rural technology

Locations

  • Taranaki
  • National Park
  • Whakapapa
  • Ohakune
  • Raetihi
  • Taihape
  • Marton
  • Feilding
  • Palmerston North

Media

  • Video
  • Photo galleries
  • Today's Paper - E-Editions
  • Photo sales
  • Classifieds

Weather

  • New Plymouth
  • Whanganui
  • Palmertson North
  • Levin

NZME Network

  • Advertise with NZME
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • BusinessDesk
  • Newstalk ZB
  • Sunlive
  • ZM
  • The Hits
  • Coast
  • Radio Hauraki
  • The Alternative Commentary Collective
  • Gold
  • Flava
  • iHeart Radio
  • Hokonui
  • Radio Wanaka
  • iHeartCountry New Zealand
  • Restaurant Hub
  • NZME Events

SubscribeSign In

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Premium
Home / Whanganui Chronicle

Whanganui's Lucky Bar + Kitchen set to reopen under new ownership and a new look

Lucy Drake
Lucy Drake
Whanganui Chronicle·
1 Jun, 2020 05:00 PM3 mins to read

Subscribe to listen

Access to Herald Premium articles require a Premium subscription. Subscribe now to listen.
Already a subscriber?  

Listening to articles is free for open-access content—explore other articles or learn more about text-to-speech.
‌
Save
    Share this article

    Reminder, this is a Premium article and requires a subscription to read.

Lucky Bar + Kitchen's new owner Andrew Rennie is loving his new venture so far and has big plans for the place. Photo / Zaryd Wilson

Lucky Bar + Kitchen's new owner Andrew Rennie is loving his new venture so far and has big plans for the place. Photo / Zaryd Wilson

GOLOCAL

After being closed since just before lockdown, Whanganui's Lucky Bar + Kitchen is almost ready to open under new ownership.

New owner Andrew Rennie moved from Auckland to Whanganui five years ago and began working in property management but said he desperately wanted a change.

In Auckland, he acquired his bar managers' licence when managing a hotel.

With no luck finding a new job he saw the bar advertised and decided to sell his house so he could purchase it.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Two days later New Zealand entered Covid-19 alert level 4 and Rennie and his new bar were forced into lockdown.

"At first I was just going to keep it on as property management but then lockdown happened and thought it was a perfect time for a complete re-do," he said.

Rennie said the bar had completely changed.

The exterior and interior have both been repainted and the deck has been extended to 120 sq m.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

There is now a vertical garden at one end and they have put blinds up and purple squabs at the bar.

"With the outside, at first it was just about making it more functional and then inside I had a vibe in mind but then we were limited to what we could buy during the lockdown so it kind of changed along the way so it's still kind of a collective like what they had but it's probably a little bit more upmarket."

Discover more

Whanganui and Partners winter campaign hopes to drive domestic tourism

01 Jun 05:00 PM

Where to get a front-row seat to the Sarjeant redevelopment

01 Jun 05:00 PM
Premium

Whanganui man wins scholarship to Ivy League university

01 Jun 05:00 PM

Aerial shots telling local stories

01 Jun 01:49 AM

Rennie said they were not finished with renovations and therefore could not open when all other bars did under level 2 restrictions on May 21.

He now hopes to open on June 8 serving food but is still in discussions with council around liquor licensing.

As for future live performances, he said they have comedian Ben Hurley booked for July 25 and have been approached by a group of local bands to perform a benefit concert for the bar.

But he said they will wait until there is no longer a 100 person limit in bars for this to go ahead.

"We will still be having bands but not quite as much, but yeah, we want to open the stage up to all the arts, make it more of like a Whanganui event centre."

He hopes to get more comedy and dance acts and host more open mic nights.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Rennie said so far he was loving it and has a lot of big plans for the bar which are still top secret.

"I basically want to take what Lucky was, still keep it the same, inclusive to everyone and really expand on that and hopefully it turns into a much bigger venue so then we're not limited by our capacity and then we can get much bigger names like Six60 and stuff like that.

"For the Whanganui community, instead of always having to travel to Auckland and Wellington why can't Whanganui be a venue"

Save
    Share this article

    Reminder, this is a Premium article and requires a subscription to read.

Latest from Whanganui Chronicle

Whanganui Chronicle

Taihape’s Winiata Marae steps up for stranded travellers

16 Feb 07:58 PM
Whanganui Chronicle

Business in the front, party in the back: What makes a mighty mullet?

16 Feb 04:22 PM
Whanganui Chronicle

'A huge success': Army undertakes wildfire training

16 Feb 04:03 PM

Sponsored

Cyber crime in 2025: Increased specialisation, increased collaboration, increased risk

09 Feb 09:12 PM
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Latest from Whanganui Chronicle

Taihape’s Winiata Marae steps up for stranded travellers
Whanganui Chronicle

Taihape’s Winiata Marae steps up for stranded travellers

Organisers say opening the marae in storms is now a core role for the hapū.

16 Feb 07:58 PM
Business in the front, party in the back: What makes a mighty mullet?
Whanganui Chronicle

Business in the front, party in the back: What makes a mighty mullet?

16 Feb 04:22 PM
'A huge success': Army undertakes wildfire training
Whanganui Chronicle

'A huge success': Army undertakes wildfire training

16 Feb 04:03 PM


Cyber crime in 2025: Increased specialisation, increased collaboration, increased risk
Sponsored

Cyber crime in 2025: Increased specialisation, increased collaboration, increased risk

09 Feb 09:12 PM
NZ Herald
  • About NZ Herald
  • Meet the journalists
  • Newsletters
  • Classifieds
  • Help & support
  • Contact us
  • House rules
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Competition terms & conditions
  • Our use of AI
Subscriber Services
  • Whanganui Chronicle e-edition
  • Manage your print subscription
  • Manage your digital subscription
  • Subscribe to Herald Premium
  • Subscribe to the Whanganui Chronicle
  • Gift a subscription
  • Subscriber FAQs
  • Subscription terms & conditions
  • Promotions and subscriber benefits
NZME Network
  • Whanganui Chronicle
  • The New Zealand Herald
  • The Northland Age
  • The Northern Advocate
  • Waikato Herald
  • Bay of Plenty Times
  • Rotorua Daily Post
  • Hawke's Bay Today
  • Viva
  • NZ Listener
  • Newstalk ZB
  • BusinessDesk
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • iHeart Radio
  • Restaurant Hub
NZME
  • NZME Events
  • About NZME
  • NZME careers
  • Advertise with NZME
  • NZME Digital Performance Marketing
  • Book your classified ad
  • Photo sales
  • © Copyright 2026 NZME Publishing Limited
TOP