Whanganui Chronicle
  • Whanganui Chronicle home
  • Latest news
  • Sport
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Lifestyle
  • Property
  • Death notices
  • Classifieds

Subscriptions

  • Herald Premium
  • Viva Premium
  • The Listener
  • BusinessDesk

Sections

  • Latest news
  • On The Up
  • Sport
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Lifestyle
  • Property
    • All Property
    • Residential property listings
  • Rural
    • All Rural
    • Dairy farming
    • Sheep & beef farming
    • Horticulture
    • Animal health
    • Rural business
    • Rural life
    • Rural technology

Locations

  • Taranaki
  • National Park
  • Whakapapa
  • Ohakune
  • Raetihi
  • Taihape
  • Marton
  • Feilding
  • Palmerston North

Media

  • Video
  • Photo galleries
  • Today's Paper - E-Editions
  • Photo sales
  • Classifieds

Weather

  • New Plymouth
  • Whanganui
  • Palmertson North
  • Levin

NZME Network

  • Advertise with NZME
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • BusinessDesk
  • Newstalk ZB
  • Sunlive
  • ZM
  • The Hits
  • Coast
  • Radio Hauraki
  • The Alternative Commentary Collective
  • Gold
  • Flava
  • iHeart Radio
  • Hokonui
  • Radio Wanaka
  • iHeartCountry New Zealand
  • Restaurant Hub
  • NZME Events

SubscribeSign In

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Home / Whanganui Chronicle

Man shot dead by police, Savey Kevin Sous, had a history of violence

NZ Herald
6 Jan, 2017 11:34 PM3 mins to read

Subscribe to listen

Access to Herald Premium articles require a Premium subscription. Subscribe now to listen.
Already a subscriber?  

Listening to articles is free for open-access content—explore other articles or learn more about text-to-speech.
‌
Save
    Share this article
The scene of the fatal shooting in Whanganui. Photo / Natalie Sixtus

The scene of the fatal shooting in Whanganui. Photo / Natalie Sixtus

The man shot by police after a domestic incident in Whanganui last night was known to police and had a history of violence.

Upper Hutt man Savey Kevin Sous​, 32, was shot three times, in the torso and arm.

He was of Cambodian descent but had lived in New Zealand for about 20 years.

READ MORE:
• Police drive ambulance as medics try to save shot man

Central Districts Commander Superintendent Sue Schwalger told a press conference outside the Whanganui Police Station today that Sous was known to the police and had been arrested several times, including for violence.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

He had been convicted of a range of offences including family violence.

In 2009, Sous was jailed for five years after binding a taxi driver with a metal dog chain and stealing his bank card, NZPA reported.

He and an accomplice were convicted of a number of charges including kidnapping and aggravated robbery. Sous was also convicted of stealing the taxi belonging to the victim.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

The judge noted Sous, who came to New Zealand as a refugee, had many previous convictions including four for violence or threats of violence.

Police were called to the Mitchell St house at about 7pm yesterday after a report of family violence, Schwalger said.

"When officers approached Mr Sous to tell him he was under arrest he told them to step back and pulled out a concealed, loaded sawn-off shot gun and point it at unarmed officers.

"The officers retreated, cordons were put in place and the armed offenders squad called."

Discover more

New Zealand

Man dies after being shot by police

06 Jan 05:07 PM
New Zealand

Cop drives ambo as medics help shot man

06 Jan 11:26 PM

A woman with visible injuries, Sous' partner, was able to leave the house safely. Nearby residents were advised to stay in their houses and away from the windows.

Sous was then seen towards the back of the house and was called on to surrender several times. He ignored the requests and advanced towards the officers.

He was then shot.

"Three shots were fired in total, hitting Mr Sous in the torso and arm," Schwalger said.

Schwalger said police provided immediate first aid at the scene and an ambulance was called.

Sous was rushed to hospital, under police escort, in a critical condition. Police were advised at 9.45pm that Sous had died from his injuries.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

"This is a tragic outcome. No police officer comes to work to end up in a situation such as this."

Firearms were and always would be a last resort, she said.

"Unfortunately in a small number of circumstances when offenders carry firearms and present a serious threat to their community and our staff police have no option but to resort to firearms."

She said all the officers involved in the incident were from the Whanganui area.

An internal investigation has been launched and the Independent Police Conduct Authority has been informed.

The victim of the original 111 call is receiving assistance by police, Victim Support and fmaily members.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Police involved it the shooting were also receiving support, she said. The officers were coming to terms with what happened in their own way but it would take time.

She said a Taser was not suitable in the circumstances given the threat of a loaded gun pointed at police officers. Tasers require users to be close to the target.

Cordons have been removed from Mitchell St but a scene guard remains.

Sous had come to New Zealand as a young child. Language was not thought to be an issue during the incident.

Save
    Share this article

Latest from Whanganui Chronicle

Whanganui Chronicle

'Rising safety concerns': Council customer service area getting $100k upgrade

30 Nov 04:59 PM
Whanganui Chronicle

Whanganui-raised bodybuilder wins chance to go pro

30 Nov 04:00 PM
Whanganui Chronicle

Hardy Construction wins national award with Koitiata home

30 Nov 04:00 PM

Sponsored

Kiwi campaign keeps on giving

07 Sep 12:00 PM
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Latest from Whanganui Chronicle

'Rising safety concerns': Council customer service area getting $100k upgrade
Whanganui Chronicle

'Rising safety concerns': Council customer service area getting $100k upgrade

Funding for the project was included in the 2025/26 annual plan.

30 Nov 04:59 PM
Whanganui-raised bodybuilder wins chance to go pro
Whanganui Chronicle

Whanganui-raised bodybuilder wins chance to go pro

30 Nov 04:00 PM
Hardy Construction wins national award with Koitiata home
Whanganui Chronicle

Hardy Construction wins national award with Koitiata home

30 Nov 04:00 PM


Kiwi campaign keeps on giving
Sponsored

Kiwi campaign keeps on giving

07 Sep 12:00 PM
NZ Herald
  • About NZ Herald
  • Meet the journalists
  • Newsletters
  • Classifieds
  • Help & support
  • Contact us
  • House rules
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Competition terms & conditions
  • Our use of AI
Subscriber Services
  • Whanganui Chronicle e-edition
  • Manage your print subscription
  • Manage your digital subscription
  • Subscribe to Herald Premium
  • Subscribe to the Whanganui Chronicle
  • Gift a subscription
  • Subscriber FAQs
  • Subscription terms & conditions
  • Promotions and subscriber benefits
NZME Network
  • Whanganui Chronicle
  • The New Zealand Herald
  • The Northland Age
  • The Northern Advocate
  • Waikato Herald
  • Bay of Plenty Times
  • Rotorua Daily Post
  • Hawke's Bay Today
  • Viva
  • NZ Listener
  • Newstalk ZB
  • BusinessDesk
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • iHeart Radio
  • Restaurant Hub
NZME
  • NZME Events
  • About NZME
  • NZME careers
  • Advertise with NZME
  • Digital self-service advertising
  • Book your classified ad
  • Photo sales
  • © Copyright 2025 NZME Publishing Limited
TOP