Officials warn it is "better to stay safe than take risks and assume things will be okay” as Cyclone Vaianu approaches. Photo / NZME
Officials warn it is "better to stay safe than take risks and assume things will be okay” as Cyclone Vaianu approaches. Photo / NZME
People are being warned not to be complacent as wind and rain warnings and watches ramp up with Cyclone Vaianu heading for the North Island.
“This is not the time for a ‘she’ll be right’ attitude,” Manawatū-Whanganui Emergency Management group controller Craig Grant said.
He urged people across the regionto prepare and avoid unnecessary travel as Cyclone Vaianu approaches this weekend.
“It is better to stay safe than take risks and assume things will be okay.”
Today one rare red and 22 orange rain and wind alerts were issued across the North Island, as the “multi-hazard”, potentially life-threatening cyclone approached New Zealand.
In Whanganui, winds are forecast to begin as severe gale southeasterlies and shift to severe gale southwesterlies on Sunday evening.
Manawatū-Whanganui Civil Defence advised residents to prepare by securing anything outdoors, relocating stock or items from flood-prone areas, bringing animals inside, and organising food supplies and batteries in case of power outages.
People can prepare grab bags for each household member in case of evacuation, including warm clothes, bottled water, snacks, copies of important documents and a photo ID.
Medications, a first aid kit, torch, radio, batteries, mobility devices and any other essentials should be placed somewhere they are easy to grab.
“While we continue to prepare, we are again asking people to take some time over the coming days to check that they’re prepared for any severe weather that may arrive.”
Emergency management staff and other agencies had been preparing during the week to respond to any impacts of the weather, Grant said.
“We are setting up our Group Emergency Co-ordination Centre and will have staff rostered on throughout the weekend, including overnight Sunday, to ensure we can respond to whatever Cyclone Vaianu brings.
“Other agencies, including power companies and LandSAR, are all working to increase resources and ensure they are strategically placed around the region so they can respond as required.”
People should avoid outdoor activities on Sunday and remain at home if possible.
“We know having to postpone or cancel plans is the last thing people want,” he said.
“Sadly, people have died during recent weather events across the country.”
Powerco’s head of network operations, Mark Dunn, said extra crews would be on standby to respond to outages.
However, fallen trees or high winds could cause delays in restoring power and customers should prepare to potentially be without power for several days.
More information on how to prepare is available on the Manawatū-Whanganui Civil Defence website at www.mwcdem.govt.nz/regional-hazards/storms.
Manawatū-Whanganui Civil Defence will post live updates on its Facebook page and website.