Fire in kitchen
Unattended cooking resulted in the kitchen of a London St house being significantly damaged by fire yesterday. Station Officer Jason Hamlin said Fire and Emergency crews were called when the occupant discovered the fire about 11am. The house did not have working smoke alarms. The occupant was uninjured. Hamlin urged people to install smoke alarms and not to leave cooking unattended.
Bid for Baxter
The fundraising Baxter Breakfast takes place on Friday morning at 7am, with poems read and breakfast eaten at Whanganui's Grand Hotel. The funds will be put toward a bronze statue of poet James K Baxter, to be placed in Guyton St. Tickets have sold out but people can still put in a bid for any of the auction items by ringing Paige's Book Gallery (06) 348 9095, texting 021 2927 417, emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling in to 60 Guyton St.
Farmers in the Ruapehu District have started some new discussion groups to build confidence in the future of farming. Young farmers are returning to the district to farm family land, with new energy and new ideas. One of the groups is a Next Generation Extension Group, for farmers aged 20 to 40.