Gonville kitchen fire

The kitchen of a house in Gonville, Whanganui, was damaged by fire on Saturday evening. The fire was caused by unattended cooking, Fire and Emergency NZ senior station officer Aaron Summerhays said. A smoke alarm failed to alert the only person in the house, and the kitchen was about 30 per cent damaged. It's good to continually check smoke alarms are working, Summerhays said.

Local Lotto win
A person who bought a Lotto ticket at a Whanganui Countdown supermarket is one of 14 who have each won $23,926 in Saturday night's second division Lotto draw. That person should write their name on the ticket and either take it to a Lotto outlet or check it online.

Jack Frost visits
The temperature dipped to 4C in Whanganui on Saturday night, with clear skies. There were frosts in some places, and mist in the river valley.

Advertisement