Ruapehu mayor Don Cameron and his wife Phyl have been attacked in Raetihi.

The attack came when they attempted to stop of suspected theft on Tuesday night.

The two were leaving the historic Raetihi Theatre in Seddon St when they noticed a group of three people making off with props intended for an upcoming production.

They approached the group and asked them to return the items, but instead were set upon. The attack left both of them with cuts and bruises.


Yesterday Mr Cameron said both he and his wife, although shaken and upset by the attack, would make a full recovery, and he hoped to be back at work today.

"This was an isolated incident and in no way related to my role as mayor," he told the Chronicle.

"Although both myself and Phyl have a few cuts and bruises we are both on the mend and are getting back to normal," he said.

Mr Cameron said the Raetihi community had rallied around him and his wife.

"People have been especially upset that my wife is involved, as she has been incredibly active in working for the community, including its youth.

"It is important we keep things in perspective and don't allow this incident to derail the progress being made in building connections with the Raetihi community."

He would like the public to know both he and his wife were shaken but okay.

"It's one of those unfortunate things - we happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. It happened so quickly and it was over just as quickly."

The couple were treated by ambulance staff at the scene.

Last night police said they had arrested three people in relation to the serious assault of a couple in Raetihi.

Police said a man and a woman were assaulted when they interrupted agroup who had been trying to steal property.

A 19-year-old male has been charged with intent to cause grievous bodily harm, a 25-year-old female has been charged with aggravated assault and burglary, and a 21-year-old female has been charged with aggravated assault.

"We would both like to thank the Raetihi and wider Ruapehu community for their calls of love and support and the Police for their quick apprehension of the offenders," Mayor Cameron said.

Inquiries into the incident continue.