With the release date of convicted sex offender Stewart Wilson looming, alternative options for his accommodation have been made if building consent is not granted in time for him to take up residence in a state house on Whanganui Prison grounds.
That is also provisional on the outcome of two legal challenges to his parole conditions and his housing arrangements to be heard before September 1, the date by which he must be released.
Wilson, dubbed the Beast of Blenheim, was convicted of 23 counts of rape, bestiality, and ill-treatment of children in 1996, and having served 18 years of a 21-year jail sentence, can no longer be kept in jail.
A Corrections spokesperson yesterday confirmed there were alternative housing options, all situated within prison grounds, but would not say where.
They would also not confirm how or when Wilson would be arriving in Wanganui.
The Wanganui District Council must issue a decision on the building consent application on August 29, and decide on the resource consent by August 31.
Mayor Annette Main has said there are no real grounds for council to decline the consent, but an appeal against the decision to house Wilson in Wanganui had been made and will be heard along with Wilson's request for a review of his parole conditions in the High Court at Wellington on Monday.
The council's judicial review application says Wilson will be released on August 29.