Fashion designer Karen Walker and David Hedley, owner of New Zealand's oldest bookshop, Hedley's Books of Masterton have come together to create the Playpark Summer 2017 Salon, which will see Karen's Newmarket store transformed into a pop-up bookshop until Christmas.
It will combine the designer’s love of the written word and Hedley’s Books’ celebration of being in business for 110 years.
To mark this significant birthday, along with the latest collection of Karen Walker fashion, jewellery, sunglasses et al, the pop-up store will stock just 110 titles hand-selected by this passionate duo.
Join Karen and David as they share why they love the books they do, with stimulating personal tales that take us around the world and capture the universal appeal of a good read. Their passion enthusiasm is contagious and inspiring.
In the podcast, David and Karen share some of their favourite books, including:
- Love That Burns: A Chronicle of Fleetwood Mac by Mick Fleetwood
- Get A Life by Vivienne Westwood
- Philip Treacy Hats of the Twenty-First Century by Philip Treacy and Marion Hume
- Edith Bouvier Beale of Grey Gardens: A Life in Pictures
- The Go-Between by L. P. Hartley
- War Beyond D-Day by Lee Miller
- Mrs Dalloway by Virginia Woolf
- Rebecca by Dame Daphne du Maurier
- The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath
- Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
- The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie by Muriel Spark
- Sweet by Yotam Ottolenghi
- Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders
- Uncommon Type: Some Stories by Tom Hanks
• The Playpark Summer 2017 Salon Pop-up bookstore opens November 4 until Christmas, 6 Balm Street, Newmarket