A 37-year-old man was arrested on Sunday and charged with arson, just hours after the Karikari Fire Brigade, later reinforced by crews from Kaitaia, saved one house but could not repeat that success further along the road.
The Housing NZ home was completely gutted, Detective Sergeant Trevor Beatson said.
"Theouter walls are still standing but the interior structure has gone," he said.
Detectives, a scene of crime officer from Kaitaia and fire investigators were combing through the remains on Sunday afternoon, but the suspect had already been arrested.
He was charged with two counts of arson, two of assaulting a female, one of assaulting a child and two of assault with a weapon.
Detective Sergeant Beatson said the two fires were related to one domestic incident. The arrested man had allegedly set fire to the house he was renting, after the three assault victims had fled, then travelled a short distance to break into another house where he allegedly set fire to material on top of the stove. No major damage was done.
Police had gone door to door looking for witnesses to the fires and/or the domestic incident that preceded them, he added. Anyone who had any information and had not been spoken to was asked to contact him at the Kaitaia police station, phone 408-6500.