A lack of polish saw Kamo pipped by a point by leaders Wellsford 29-28 and with the playoffs looming it was the wrong time for a narrow loss.

A penalty kick to Kamo's Tyler Lansdown a few minutes from time should have been enough for the side to take the kick-off and wind down the clock down for a hard earned win.

Instead Kamo's Orene Ai'i was caught in possession and the Wellsford forwards turned the ball over which then led to a Kamo infringement in a kickable position.

Fullback Matt Wright stepped up to kick his side into the lead and then the visitors showed class in holding out Kamo in the closing moments.


Wellsford player-coach Scott Brady said the bonus point win was enough to add further belief to the team that this is their season.

"Wins like this and against Mid Northern last week are building the boys' belief that they have the ability and confidence to reach our first goal - to reach the semifinal and then maybe we can go on and win the whole thing," he said.

Kamo got off to a good start and led by a dozen points at the break but with the wind behind them Wellsford surged back into contention in the second spell and won the nail biting conclusion.

Wellsford showed they could mix it with one of the competition's best packs with front rower Atere Davis scoring a double. Second five-eighth Cameron Barber and inspirational halfback Ross Neal were the other scorers.

The win sees Wellsford remain three points clear of Mid Western on the table, while Kamo slipped from fourth to fifth.

Kamo coach John Miller said he was tired of being on the wrong side of ledger in recent close matches against top of the table opposition.

Kamo's luck really has been off in recent weeks. A conversion that saw the flags raised in the first spell was disallowed by referee Boris Jurlina at the half time break which saw Kamo's total docked of what proved to be an extremely valuable two points.

Mid Western were kept close by an improving but ultimately unlucky Hikurangi to retain second place while Mid Northern bounced back from their defeat last week by thumping Otamatea 80-10.

Marist took advantage of Kamo's slip-up to move into fourth place with a solid win over the Western Sharks 24-12.

Meanwhile the other talking point of the weekend was Hora Hora's 32-19 win over Old Boys.

Old Boys had the opportunity to sink Hora Hora's playoff chances but in the end couldn't match one of Hora Hora's best performances of the season.

After a scratchy start Hora Hora came back to dominate their opponents with some great rugby to lead 22-7 at the break. A great try to Jared Wendt five minutes from time earned a bonus point and sealed the win for Hora Hora.