Gisborne Herald
  • Gisborne Herald Home
  • Latest news
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sport

Subscriptions

  • Herald Premium
  • Viva Premium
  • The Listener
  • BusinessDesk

Sections

  • Latest news
  • On The Up
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Sport

Locations

  • Gisborne
  • Bay of Plenty
  • Hawke's Bay

Media

  • Today's Paper - E-Editions
  • Photo sales
  • Classifieds

Weather

  • Gisborne

NZME Network

  • Advertise with NZME
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • BusinessDesk
  • Newstalk ZB
  • Sunlive
  • ZM
  • The Hits
  • Coast
  • Radio Hauraki
  • The Alternative Commentary Collective
  • Gold
  • Flava
  • iHeart Radio
  • Hokonui
  • Radio Wanaka
  • iHeartCountry New Zealand
  • Restaurant Hub
  • NZME Events

SubscribeSign In

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Premium
Home / Gisborne Herald

No sign of Mediterranean fanworm or other invasive pests

Murray Robertson
General reporter, specialises in emergency services and rural·Gisborne Herald·
1 Feb, 2024 08:33 PMQuick Read
‌

Subscribe to listen

Access to Herald Premium articles require a Premium subscription. Subscribe now to listen.
Already a subscriber?  

Listening to articles is free for open-access content—explore other articles or learn more about text-to-speech.
‌
Save
    Share this article

    Reminder, this is a Premium article and requires a subscription to read.

A109 Light Utility Helicopter flight with mayor Gisborne City from the air in November 2023.

A109 Light Utility Helicopter flight with mayor Gisborne City from the air in November 2023.

The dive team who did biosecurity checks in Eastland Port looking for Mediterranean fanworm and other marine pests came up empty-handed.

Gisborne District Council’s biosecurity team leader Phillip Karaitiana reported the team found nothing of concern.

The divers, from Bay of Plenty Regional Council’s biosecurity team supported by Biosecurity NZ, conducted a thorough invasive species surveillance last week, “revealing the absence of marine pests”, he said.

“Previously, Gisborne had seen a small area of undaria and Mediterranean fanworm (sabella spallanzani) present since 2015.

“After inspection, no marine pests were located within the search area,” Mr Karaitiana said.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

The divers had good visibility on the dive days.

“A search spanning 1.58 hectares from Gisborne inner marina out to the inner harbour area took place.

“Most areas were covered but vessel placement meant a few brief sections were inaccessible.”

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

“All vessels in the marina were inspected,” Mr Karaitiana said.

“There were four vessels with marine growth present on their hulls, also known as fouling, that pose no biosecurity risk,” Mr Karaitiana said.

The dive was particularly noteworthy as it marked the first dive since Cyclone Gabrielle.

Save
    Share this article

    Reminder, this is a Premium article and requires a subscription to read.

Latest from Gisborne Herald

Gisborne Herald

Rockquest finalists found: Twelve bands to raise the War Memorial Theatre roof

18 May 04:00 AM
Gisborne Herald

News digest: SH35 stretch re-opening 24/7, plant variety rights update, $23,573 Lotto win

18 May 03:52 AM
Gisborne Herald

Creative producer and advocate Jordan Walker to stand for Greens in East Cape seat

18 May 12:33 AM

Sponsored

From boring to banger: Rapper turns Kiwis’ mortgage misery into music

17 May 12:00 PM
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Latest from Gisborne Herald

Rockquest finalists found: Twelve bands to raise the War Memorial Theatre roof
Gisborne Herald

Rockquest finalists found: Twelve bands to raise the War Memorial Theatre roof

'Without this competition the future of New Zealand music isn’t as bright.'

18 May 04:00 AM
News digest: SH35 stretch re-opening 24/7, plant variety rights update, $23,573 Lotto win
Gisborne Herald

News digest: SH35 stretch re-opening 24/7, plant variety rights update, $23,573 Lotto win

18 May 03:52 AM
Creative producer and advocate Jordan Walker to stand for Greens in East Cape seat
Gisborne Herald

Creative producer and advocate Jordan Walker to stand for Greens in East Cape seat

18 May 12:33 AM


From boring to banger: Rapper turns Kiwis’ mortgage misery into music
Sponsored

From boring to banger: Rapper turns Kiwis’ mortgage misery into music

17 May 12:00 PM
NZ Herald
  • About NZ Herald
  • Meet the journalists
  • Newsletters
  • Classifieds
  • Help & support
  • Contact us
  • House rules
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Competition terms & conditions
  • Our use of AI
Subscriber Services
  • Manage your print subscription
  • Manage your digital subscription
  • Subscribe to Herald Premium
  • Subscribe to the Gisborne Herald
  • Gift a subscription
  • Subscriber FAQs
  • Subscription terms & conditions
  • Promotions and subscriber benefits
NZME Network
  • Gisborne Herald
  • The New Zealand Herald
  • The Northland Age
  • The Northern Advocate
  • Waikato Herald
  • Bay of Plenty Times
  • Rotorua Daily Post
  • Whanganui Chronicle
  • Viva
  • NZ Listener
  • Newstalk ZB
  • BusinessDesk
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • iHeart Radio
  • Restaurant Hub
NZME
  • NZME Events
  • About NZME
  • NZME careers
  • Advertise with NZME
  • NZME Digital Performance Marketing
  • Photo sales
  • © Copyright 2026 NZME Publishing Limited
TOP