Hundreds of refugees believed to have drowned in the Mediterranean Sea

By Rick Noack

More refugees coming from North Africa - such as these off the coast of the Italian island of Lampedusa - are expected on Europe's southern shores in coming months. Photo / AP
More refugees coming from North Africa - such as these off the coast of the Italian island of Lampedusa - are expected on Europe's southern shores in coming months. Photo / AP

Hundreds of refugees are believed to have drowned in the Mediterranean Sea trying to reach Europe, one year after a similar tragedy, Italy's president confirmed yesterday.

Italian President Sergio Mattarella said during a prize ceremony in Rome on Monday that Europe faced "yet another tragedy in the Mediterranean in which, it seems, several hundred people have died." His comments are the first official remarks on a recent incident that had previously been denied by Italian authorities.

Italy's foreign minister also confirmed the tragedy, but said that details were still scarce.

"What is sure is that we are again with a tragedy in the Mediterranean, exactly one year after the tragedy we had . . . in Libyan waters," Italian foreign minister Paolo Gentiloni was quoted as saying by Reuters.

In April 2015, more than 700 refugees died in a similar incident when their boat sank on the way to Italy. The incident caused an international outcry and may have helped to convince European politicians like German Chancellor Angela Merkel to adopt a more refugee-friendly policy approach last year.

Gentiloni said Monday that more European collaboration was needed. "This is another strong reason for Europe to commit itself not to build walls," he said.

Previously, the Somali ambassador to Egypt had told BBC Arabic that up to 400 refugees traveling on four boats might have died. According to the ambassador, the victims are believed to have come from Eritrea, Ethiopia, and Somalia.

The refugees who drowned are believed to have traveled on the central Mediterranean route which is used to reach Italy.

A recent report released by several British universities alleges that European governments are to blame for some of the deaths that have occurred in the Mediterranean Sea over the last years.

Europe's rescue mission was downsized almost two years ago - leading to at least 1500 deaths directly related to the measure, the report says. The British study accuses the European Union of "killing by neglect."

More sea arrivals coming from North Africa are expected on Europe's southern shores in the coming months, as they usually increase during the summer.

Moreover, recent measures taken to stop migrants from entering Europe from Turkey could further contribute to the influx of refugees from the south.

- Washington Post

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter

SIGN UP NOW

© Copyright 2016, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production apcf04 at 09 Dec 2016 21:02:48 Processing Time: 491ms