The scene had echoes of the Paris attacks: A bustling shopping area shaken by the blasts of suicide bombers and gunfire as onlookers fled in terror.
But when Thursday's assault in central Jakarta was over, the death toll was far lower. Of the seven killed, five were the attackers themselves and only two were civilians - a Canadian and an Indonesian. Another 20 people were wounded.
Here's what we know so far:
Sequence of events
Thursday's attack in central Jakarta left residents in Indonesia's capital in fear for about five hours, until police said the area was secure. But the violence did not last nearly as long, perhaps well under 30 minutes. Gunfire was heard after that, but the only people firing were evidently police.
Here is a brief account of what happened from police and a witness:
• At about 10:50 a.m. (5.50pm NZ time), a suicide bomber walked into a Starbucks and set off his explosives. He was the only person killed in the blast.
• As customers ran out, two gunmen outside opened fire, killing a Canadian man and wounding an Indonesian. A witness, Guruh Purwanto, said the gunmen then ran into a nearby theater.
• At about the same time, two other suicide bombers attacked a traffic police booth nearby, killing themselves and an Indonesian man.
• Minutes later, the two gunmen attacked a group of policemen, sparking a gunbattle that lasted about 15 minutes and ended with both attackers dead. Purwanto said the two attackers blew themselves up.
Who is responsible?
Supporters of the Islamic State group circulated a claim of responsibility on social media resembling the militants' previous messages.
Indonesian police say they believed Bahru Main, an Indonesian currently thought to be in Syria had masterminded the attack.
National police spokesman Maj Gen Anton Charilyan said the militants had imitated the recent Paris attacks.
"We have identified all attackers," Charliyan said. "We can say that the attackers were affiliated with the Isis group," he added, using an acronym for the Islamic State group.
How many attackers were there?
Police had initially warned there could be as many as 14 attackers but later said the situation was "under control" and five militants, including a foreigner, were killed.
However, Isis has put the number of militants at four.
At least two civilians were reportedly killed in the attack on Starbucks.
One is thought to be Indonesian and one Canadian.
Police also said 20 people were injured, including at least five police officers.
Five attackers were killed.
Location of attacks
The militants targeted a busy area in central Jakarta.
The Sarinah department store is a popular place for locals and foreigners. It is on the same intersection as Starbucks and the police box.
Nearby is a UN office, some Indonesian government offices and shops and restaurants.
Information for New Zealanders
The New Zealand Government is currently reviewing whether the travel advisory for Indonesia should be upgraded.
A Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesman said today it was currently under review.
He said the ministry continued to advise New Zealanders in Indonesia to exercise a high degree of caution due to the ongoing threat of terrorism.
The Government today condemned the actions of the terrorists, deploring the loss of innocent lives.
Duty minister Nikki Kaye said the explosions in Jakarta and the deaths of innocent people were "deeply disturbing".
"Our thoughts are with the people of Jakarta and Indonesia as they come to terms with this traumatic event," she said.
Ms Kaye said there were no indications any New Zealanders had been caught up in the bomb blasts.
The New Zealand embassy remained in contact with relevant local authorities.
There are currently 81 New Zealanders registered with MFAT as being in Jakarta.
- AP with additional reporting from NZ Herald