A coronial inquest was held in Whanganui on Monday for former City College head boy Eruera Heitia-Ponga.
Eruera died suddenly of a suspected suicide on November 4, 2014.
As well as being the school's head boy he was a member of Whanganui's Youth Council, a speaker on Te Ao Hou Marae and had just been judged the winner of Trustpower's Whanganui District Youth Community Spirit Award.
The inquest was held at the Whanganui courthouse before Coroner Carla na Nagara.
She will release her findings around late August or early September.
Where to get help:
• Lifeline: 0800 543 354 (available 24/7)
• Suicide Crisis Helpline: 0508 828 865 (0508 TAUTOKO) (available 24/7)
• Youthline: 0800 376 633
• Kidsline: 0800 543 754 (available 24/7)
• Whatsup: 0800 942 8787 (1pm to 11pm)
• Depression helpline: 0800 111 757 (available 24/7)
If it is an emergency and you feel like you or someone else is at risk, call 111.