Work is expected to start in the next two weeks on repairs to a section of SH3 on Anzac Parade - 10 months after floods damaged a section of the footpath and road.
About 100m of footpath between the Whanganui River and the roadway was scoured when the river flooded on the weekend of June 20-21 last year, under-cutting the footpath between Taylor St and Portal St.
Neil Walker, NZ Transport Agency Regional highways manager, told the Chronicle that finding an option for a permanent repair in this area had been challenging due to the depth of the river and difficulty in anchoring the repair in the river bed.
"But we now have a solution, and weather depending, we expect the construction to start within the next two weeks," Mr Walker said.
He said NZTA had consulted Whanganui District Council on the repair design.