Wairarapa crash sparks night hunt

By Kelli Hooks

A 15-year-old boy gave first aid to an injured woman and helped searchers find an unconscious, missing man, after a trail bike skidded out of control yesterday.

The crash happened just after midnight when a 31-year-old man and 28-year-old woman, both from Wairarapa, crashed on gravel going around a bend on Mt Holdsworth Rd.

Carterton Constable Scott Simpson said neither rider was wearing a helmet.

"The bike left Mt Holdsworth camping ground, was travelling along Mt Holdsworth Rd, took a corner and hit a farm wire fence.

"Both received injuries requiring attention at Masterton Hospital," Mr Simpson said.

The injured woman walked about 20 minutes to get to the nearest house to raise the alarm. She was given first aid by George Vaughan, 15.

"I just cleaned up her wounds, dressed some of them and cleaned them with the antiseptic," George said.

Father Chris Vaughan said his wife, Paula, phoned an ambulance for the injured woman.

"She was in a pretty bad way when she came to the door," Mr Vaughan said. "She was covered in blood and quite shocked and distressed."

Three police cars, one fire truck and one ambulance were called to the scene as Mr Vaughan went out with a torch to search for the missing man.

After giving the woman first aid, George joined the search with emergency crews.

The teen was the first to hear the man.

"I kind of heard a rustle ... then we were yelling and we only just heard a mumble and then I think he woke up and he got louder," George said.

"Then we found a way in, Dad got pretty cut up going through all the bramble."

It took searchers about 30 minutes to find the man.

Mr Vaughan, who knew the pair, said the woman and man were taken to hospital to be treated, the woman discharged later that day.

"She's pretty cut up but on the mend," Mr Vaughan said.

He said he expected the man would be in hospital for a while.

"He got quite a nasty gash on his chin, he'd hurt his leg and neck."

Fire communications said crews assisted with the search.

"We arrived at the accident scene with only one person and carried out a search with police in the vicinity of the river to see if they could locate someone else and they did a short time after.

"Eventually the second person was transferred to an ambulance."

- Wairarapa Times-Age

© Copyright 2014, APN New Zealand Limited

Assembled by: (static) on red akl_a3 at 20 Oct 2014 21:11:44 Processing Time: 1113ms