My readers often ask me for simple, wholesome dinner ideas which the whole family will love, and this one certainly fits the bill. My kids absolutely love this crispy seed-crumbed schnitzel with rosemary and garlic. They even love to help prepare it. Wonderfully simple to make and full of nourishing ingredients, this dish will become a household favourite. We like ours served with homemade tomato sauce and a delicious selection of cherry tomatoes, cucumber and baby carrots.
CRISPY SEED AND HERB-CRUMBED SCHNITZEL
• 500g schnitzel (beef, lamb or pork work well), sliced into small pieces
• 2 free range eggs
• ¼ cup sesame seeds
• ¼ cup pumpkin seeds
• ¼ cup sunflower seeds
• 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
• 2 tbsp dried rosemary or oregano
• 1 tbsp sea salt
• 1 tsp pepper
1. Using a meat tenderiser, pound each piece of schnitzel 3-4 times on both sides. This helps to prevent the meat from being too chewy.
2. In a shallow bowl, whisk the eggs and set aside.
3. In a separate shallow bowl, mix the seeds, garlic, dried herbs, salt and pepper.
4. Dip each piece of schnitzel in the beaten egg, then in the seed mix.
5. Put a large frying pan on a medium heat and grease with butter or a little olive oil. Grill the schnitzel for 3-4 minutes on each side, or until golden and crispy.