This surprisingly light and delicious bircher breakfast is wonderfully simple to make, and can even be prepared the night before. In this recipe I have used brown rice flakes instead of traditional oats for a nourishing and wholesome gluten-free version.
The addition of a little spice, feijoas and grated apple makes for a delicate yet delightful breakfast. You could use almost any variety of fresh fruit, and milk of your choice. I absolutely love coconut milk, although nut, oat or cows' milk all work wonderfully.
SIMPLE SPICED FEJOA & APPLE BROWN RICE BIRCHER
• ½ cup brown rice flakes
• ¾ cup milk of your choice*
• ½ cup shredded coconut
• 1 apple, grated
• 2-3 feijoas, flesh scooped out and roughly chopped
• ½ tsp ground cinnamon, plus a little extra for sprinkling
• Honey, maple or brown rice syrup to sweeten (optional)
• A handful of slivered almonds, or crushed nuts of your choice
1. In a medium-sized bowl, jar or container, add all the ingredients.
2. Mix until well combined and then place in fridge overnight, or for at least 1-2 hours.
To serve, add a little honey, maple or brown rice syrup to sweeten if you like, although I find the addition of fruit is enough for me. Top with a little fresh fruit, a scattering of nuts and an extra dusting of cinnamon if you desire.
*refined sugar free