1. Cruise to the Great Barrier Reef:
Take your pick - sunset sail, day trip on a yacht to the Outer reef, or half day cruise to the Lower Isles, the choice is yours to discover the coral and fish of the Great Barrier Reef.
2. See the reef from above: Treat yourself to an amazing helicopter trip and imagine your very own private paradise, surrounded by the sparkling Coral Sea while indulging on a gourmet champagne breakfast... perfect for the true romantics!
3. Explore Cairns' northern beaches: Just 15 minutes' drive north of cairns lies Trinity Beach, with village atmosphere and its own private cove and close by are Clifton, Kewarra and Holloway beaches all offering that perfect winter getaway.
4. Spas: Palm Cove is often called the Spa capital of Australia with over 8 spas to choose from! Relax with your partner in a double Vichy room, soothe travelling aches with a Thai massage or discover soft skin after treatments with seaweed extracts and marine mud.
5. Fitzroy island: Easily accessible by regular boat services from Cairns, this island national park, located close to the mainland, is rugged with diverse landscapes featuring granite outcrops, open woodlands, rainforest, mangroves and coral beaches.
6. Skyrail: Skyrail Rainforest Cableway is a unique rainforest experience, taking you on an unforgettable journey over and through Australia's World Heritage listed Tropical Rainforests from Cairns to Kuranda. Head up on the cableway and come back on the Kuranda scenic rail.
7. Australia Butterfly Sanctuary Kuranda: the largest butterfly flight aviary and exhibit in Australia - an all-weather experience in the heart of Kuranda. Home to over 1,500 magnificent tropical butterflies, which are all local rainforest species, including the electric blue Ulysses and the majestic green and yellow Cairns Birdwing butterflies.
8. Hartley's Crocodile Adventures: With timber boardwalks and pathways leading you on a journey of discovery through woodlands and rainforest where you can see an array of wildlife, including beautiful tropical birds, wallabies, reptiles, insects and other native fauna.. Take a boat cruise on Hartley's Lagoon to see crocodiles and other wildlife inhabiting the beautiful melaleuca wetland.
9. Cooktown Discovery Festival: The Cooktown Discovery Festival is an annual event held in Cooktown to celebrate the landing of Lieutenant James Cook at the Endeavour River in 1770 and his meeting with the local Guugu Yimithirr and Kuku Yalanji people.
10. Opera in the Outback - October: For something completely different, head to the Undara Experience for three nights of very unique entertainment in the incredible setting which is the purpose-built Ooramin Place Amphitheatre. The first half of this magical event is enjoyed as the sun sets turning the western sky into an explosion of colour. The second half is enjoyed under a million stars.