The sight of Stormtroopers, monks and giant bananas mingling in Henderson could be a common sight this year and beyond after the Professional Darts Corporation's decision to bring the World Championships back to New Zealand.

The PDC has yet to officially announce its decision, following the hugely successful event in August at Trusts Arena which saw 15,000 spectators enjoying the occasion in all manner of fancy dress, but it appears to be only a matter of time.

After his return from the World Championships at London's Alexandra Palace, top Kiwi player Rob Szabo told Radio Sport yesterday the event is locked in for New Zealand.

"I believe the venue's been booked out for the next four years," he said.

Advertisement

"When I was talking to a few of the PDC representatives, they said Auckland was absolutely fantastic and they loved it ... yeah, they'll be back."

Trusts Arena chief executive Brian Blake said he couldn't comment on any deal but said organisers were very happy with the venue last year.

It appears the players were too.

World No6 James Wade said: "We are as far away from England as you can get and the fans have been so interactive, so polite and so loud - at the right times.

"I didn't think they would get remotely close to creating the atmosphere they have ... [they've] done themselves proud."

Englishman Adrian Lewis won last year's event.

On Monday, at Alexandra Palace in front of a raucous crowd, Lewis lost the world championship final to Scotsman Gary Anderson.