A house fire in a Lake Taupo community was likely caused by a leaking fish smoker, investigations have found.

Turangi Volunteer Fire Brigade Chief fire officer Tangonui Kingi said a Kuratau home was "fully involved" in flames by the time they arrived yesterday.

The fire started about 7.55am and was attended by crews from Turangi, Taupo and Manunui, near Taumarunui, Mr Kingi said.

"North comms [communications] received multiple 111 calls, which generally indicates that something is definitely going on," Mr Kingi said.

Advertisement

He said Turangi Fire Brigade responded with two crews and a support vehicle but before they left they upgraded the call out to "second alarm" which meant a crew from Taupo also set out.

He said the house owner was out of the property at the time and no one was hurt.

"It's a close knit community and the residential population is only quite small. He had a few neighbours out supporting him and police were also looking after him."

Rotorua fire safety investigator Stuart Bootten said the fire was not suspicious.

He said it most likely started from a leaking gas fitting on a gas-fired fish smoker.

"With summer coming up it's time to get our barbecues and smokers in working order," he said.

Related articles:

ROTORUA DAILY POST
6 Oct, 2015 8:30am
2 minutes to read
ROTORUA DAILY POST
12 Oct, 2015 10:30am
3 minutes to read

"Use a solution of soapy water to test the connections to make sure there are no leaks before you ignite it. If there are leaks there will be bubbles."