Family and friends have gathered on a remote Wellington beach as the search for a missing diver enters its third day.

The extensive operation off Makara to find the 24-year-old New Plymouth man started on Monday evening after the man was reported missing when he didn't return home.

The search was called off around 6pm yesterday, but has resumed this morning with a focus on inshore waters.

The Police launch Lady Elizabeth IV will be searching along with the Mana and Kapiti Coastguards and local Surf Life Saving clubs.

Advertisement
Friends and family wait at Makara Beach as the search for the diver heads into its third day. Photo / Katrina Bennett
Friends and family wait at Makara Beach as the search for the diver heads into its third day. Photo / Katrina Bennett

A vessel from the Ministry for Primary Industries is also helping, as is Kapiti Air Patrol with a fixed wing aircraft.

Land SAR are doing a beach search.

Around 30 to 40 friends and family members have also gathered at the beach, carrying out their own search of the shoreline.

Police yesterday said they still had hopes of finding the diver alive.

The man was familiar with the dive spot and had been diving for several years.

The search will be assessed again at lunch time today.

The man went missing while diving off Makara Beach on Monday. Photo / Katrina Bennett
The man went missing while diving off Makara Beach on Monday. Photo / Katrina Bennett

Police yesterday said they still had hopes of finding the diver alive.


The police thanked the crews of the Westpac Life Flight helicopter, volunteer Coastguard units, Surf Lifesaving and Wellington Land Search and Rescue for their efforts so far. There had also been good support from local boaties and divers.