Firefighters were called to a blaze at an Auckland school after fireworks set alight a bush.

Northern fire communications shift manager Paul Radden said crew had been called to ACG Strathallan School in Karaka, about 9pm on Friday.

Flax and toitoi were on fire at the rear of the grounds but was extinguished shortly after crew arrived.

It was believed to have been started by a nearby fireworks display but it wasn't clear if the fireworks had been lit at the school or by neighbours.

Advertisement

ACG Strathallan is a preschool, primary, and secondary school.