An investigation has been launched after a 3-year-old boy was injured when a door fell at a sushi shop.
Barbara Ding was at The Chancery Sushi Train restaurant for dinner with friends and son, Harry, in the central city last Tuesday.
As she paid, Harry walked to the door, which wasn't attached. After touching it, the door fell and hit his head.
She's worried her son may have suffered psychologically as he was beginning to have nightmares.
Auckland Council are investigating and restaurant staff are apologetic but say they couldn't get anyone to fix the door during the festive period.
Ding says that's not good enough and the door should never have been left to just sit there, being an accident waiting to happen. She wanted to speak out to ensure it didn't happen again.
"The whole door was not attached. It was just broken and after we talked to the owners who said it had been broken since Christmas and they left the broken door there for two weeks, just standing there."
She claimed the owners told her that the door would be all right because "it was big and heavy" and that no one would be able to lift it.
"It was a big glass door but lucky the glass didn't break when it fell down."
However, it did leave a small, but deep, cut to her son's chin. She took him to hospital, however, the doctor wasn't keen to give the toddler stitches due to his age.
"Once we arrived, the doctor seeing him was saying that he might need stitches but because he was too young ... it maybe too painful for him so he used glue."
The glue didn't appear to be helping the wound heal and she would likely have to take her son back to hospital for stitches.
Her son appeared to be in good spirits and was enjoying playing with his toys again. But by Saturday, he began having nightmares.
"These past few days, at night, when he's sleep he always cries, so maybe something has actually happened mentally as well. I can't be sure about that though.
"I asked him about his dreams and he said that he dreamed about a big door and he tried to open it and he can't open it. He called the policeman and the policeman didn't come to help him, so that's why he cried.
"I'm becoming quite worried about him now."
The restaurant's supervisor, Allen Lee, confirmed the door had been broken since Christmas. However, he had been unable to find anyone to fix the door as the repairmen were all on holiday.
"We were so busy ... we already contacted the door company but because it's Christmas time they can't come to fix up the door."
He said they left the door for three weeks but they did not have any safety issues.
On the night of the accident, he recalled hearing a loud bang and running to see if the child was okay.
The child was given a bandage, and his mother was told to call police or the hospital.
Lee said the door was broken after it was punched by a homeless man who was later arrested by police.
Ding says she immediately contacted Auckland City Council and was told this morning that they wouldn't be investigating and that she had to lay a complaint with Worksafe.
However, when contacted, Sally Grey, manager weather-tightness and compliance, building control, said Auckland Council's building compliance team was investigating.
"We are unable to provide more information currently but we hope to provide an update in due course."
Worksafe said they were yet to receive a complaint.